On a recent five-hour flight delay from Orlando to Toronto when weather and mechanical issues combined disrupted the journey, I learned a lot. In the end, I was forced to stay the night in Toronto and I travelled home to Ottawa the following day. Nothing I could have done would have avoided this; however, the following top five suggestions might have made the experience a little more pleasant.
- Always print your boarding pass. The mobile app doesn’t always work when you need it.
- Ensure your mobile device is fully charged before you get on the plane. The plug doesn’t always work in your seat.
- Even though your phone charge might not last the trip, ensure you have your noise-cancelling earphones to tune out the drunk guy repeating himself every few minutes and the understandably cranky kids.
- Download the mobile app for the airline before you get on the plane. You might get on the plane to discover there is no TV screen.
- Bring snacks, if you’re stuck on the tarmac for a few hours with no access to food during dinner time you’ll thank yourself.